From A-list actors to chart-topping musicians, we’ve uncovered 21 celebrities who used to mix drinks and serve customers before they made it big.
Ready to see which of your favorite celebs used to pour pints and shake cocktails? Let’s dive in!
But before we begin…
Below are 21 celebs who used to bartend
And just in case YOU need a refresher, visit one of our 100+ bartending school locations.
Our hilarious Parks and Recreation star, Amy Poehler, worked as a bartender and waitress at an Irish pub in Chicago called The Ale House.
We bet she made people laugh with every drink she served! 🍻😄
This comedic legend used to bartend at a little joint called the Underground in Chicago. He even made a surprise appearance behind the bar at SXSW in 2010.
Just imagine Bill Murray serving you a drink! 😱
Yippee-ki-yay! Our beloved action hero Bruce actually bartended at Kamikaze Club in NYC during the 80s, before landing his role in the TV series ‘Moonlighting’.
Imagine grabbing a drink from John McClane himself! 🍻
Our very own Star-Lord worked as a bartender at the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. in Maui, Hawaii.
He even lived in a van before his acting career took off! Talk about humble beginnings. 🚐🌴
Before becoming famous for her roles in How I Met Your Mother and the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Cobie Smulders worked as a bartender to support herself while pursuing her acting career.
From mixing drinks to stealing our hearts, she’s definitely come a long way! 🌟🍹
The hilarious Danny DeVito worked as a bartender before his acting career took off with the sitcom Taxi.
We’d love to share a drink with him at Paddy’s Pub! 🥃🍀
Before becoming the frontman of the Foo Fighters and drummer for Nirvana, Dave Grohl worked as a bartender in Virginia.
He must have been rocking out while mixing drinks! 🎸🍺
Before becoming the iconic Dr. Meredith Grey, Ellen worked as a bartender in NYC at the SoHo Kitchen and Bar.
No doubt, she was serving up some Grey-tinis! 🍸
Before her breakout role in Jane the Virgin, Gina Rodriguez was a bartender at a seafood restaurant in Marina del Rey, California.
Talk about a star who knows how to mix things up! 🌟🍹
Before becoming the skilled archer Hawkeye in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, Jeremy Renner worked as a bartender in LA.
No wonder he’s got such great aim! 🏹🍸
Funnyman Jon Stewart worked at the punk-rock venue City Gardens in New Jersey, where he served up drinks and laughs.
No wonder he can handle any crowd! 😂
The versatile and talented actress Kathy Bates bartended in her early years before her breakthrough role in Misery.
We can only imagine the stories she could tell from behind the bar! 🎭🥃
The 24 star, Kiefer Sutherland, worked as a bartender in the 1980s before his acting career skyrocketed.
Serving up drinks and saving the world? Now that’s multitasking! 🍹⏰
The Charlie’s Angels star and Elementary actress, Lucy Liu, worked as a bartender in NYC while attending NYU.
Talk about an angelic mixologist! 👼🍹
Before becoming a reality TV star on The Real Housewives of Atlanta, NeNe Leakes worked as a bartender in Georgia.
Her strong personality must have been perfect for keeping rowdy bar patrons in check! 💁♀️🍸
The talented rapper and singer Nicki Minaj worked as a waitress and bartender at Red Lobster before making it big in the music industry.
Can you imagine her serving up seafood and sass? 🦞🎶
Before winning our hearts in The Notebook, Rachel bartended at a sports bar in Toronto called the Real Sports Bar & Grill.
She’s got the perfect mix of beauty and brawn, huh? 💪🌟
The Gladiator himself, Russell Crowe, used to work as a bartender in Australia before conquering Hollywood.
Imagine him serving drinks with that intense gaze! 😍
America’s sweetheart was a mixologist in her early days!
She even owned a restaurant in Texas called Bess Bistro, where she occasionally got behind the bar.
So cool, right? 😍
This multi-talented actor not only bartended in NYC, but he also co-wrote a cookbook called The Tucci Cookbook.
Is there anything he can’t do?! 🍴📖
Our fave Top Gun heartthrob worked as a bartender while attending school in NYC.
He must’ve learned a thing or two, because he later nailed his role in the movie Cocktail! 🎬🍹
Now let’s expand the list with some famous mixologists who have made a name for themselves in the world of bartending and cocktail creation.
These talented individuals have become celebrities in their own right, thanks to their innovative concoctions and unique bartending skills.
- Dale DeGroff: Known as King Cocktail, Dale DeGroff is a renowned bartender and mixologist who has been credited with reviving the art of classic cocktails. He has written several books on the subject and has won numerous awards.
- Tony Conigliaro: This award-winning mixologist has been at the forefront of the modern cocktail scene, known for his innovative and experimental approach to drinks. He has several bars in London, including 69 Colebrooke Row and Bar Termini.
- Julie Reiner: A highly respected mixologist and bar owner, Julie Reiner is known for her work at famous NYC bars like Clover Club and Flatiron Lounge. She has been recognized for her contributions to the cocktail world and has authored a book, The Craft Cocktail Party.
- Jim Meehan: An influential bartender, mixologist, and author, Jim Meehan is best known for his work at PDT (Please Don’t Tell) in New York City. He has also written the popular book Meehan’s Bartender Manual.
- Charlotte Voisey: An accomplished mixologist and spirits educator, Charlotte Voisey has traveled the world showcasing her cocktail expertise. She has won numerous awards and has been a regular on the TV show Bar Rescue.
Famous Flair Bartenders
Flair bartending, which involves juggling, flipping, and performing tricks with bar tools and bottles, has produced its own set of celebrities.
Here are the most famous flair bartenders known for their incredible skills and showmanship:
- Nicolas Saint-Jean: Hailing from France, Nicolas Saint-Jean is a highly skilled flair bartender who has won multiple world championships, including the World Flair Association (WFA) Grand Slam. His energetic performances and dazzling tricks have made him a standout in the flair bartending community.
- Ken Hall: Ken Hall is a world-renowned flair bartender who has won numerous titles, including the Legends of Bartending World Championship. He has also performed his impressive flair bartending routines on television shows like The Ellen DeGeneres Show.
- Rodrigo Delpech: This Argentinian flair bartender has multiple world championships under his belt, making him one of the most decorated flair bartenders in the world. Rodrigo Delpech’s incredible skills and entertaining performances have earned him a loyal following.
- Christian Delpech: Christian Delpech, Rodrigo’s brother, is another highly successful flair bartender. With multiple world championship titles to his name, Christian has become a highly respected figure in the flair bartending community.
- Marek Posluszny: As a Polish flair bartender, Marek Posluszny has made a name for himself in the world of flair bartending with his visually stunning routines and exceptional technical skills. He has competed in and won numerous competitions, including the Roadhouse World Flair competition.
Are you the next celebrity bartender?
These stories remind us that even the biggest stars had to start somewhere, and that perseverance and hard work can pay off in the end.
Who knows? The next time you grab a drink at your local bar, you might just be served by a future superstar! 🌟🍹